In this interview, Paul O’Callaghan of Caritas Australia explains the Catholic Church’s role in foreign aid, current commitment to foreign assistance by Australia’s major political parties, and how we can increase Australia’s commitment to foreign aid.
In this podcast:
- 0:19 – The Catholic Church’s involvement in foreign aid.
- 5:08 – How the Australian Federal Government is involved in funding Caritas Australia’s foreign assistance projects.
- 5:53 – The current and historical foreign aid policies by both Coalition and ALP parties.
- 9:04 – Objectives for foreign aid, such as the Millenium Development Goals and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- 12:50 – What Australians should do to restore Federal Government commitment to foreign assistance.
- 18:05 – How do we know that Australia’s foreign aid actually helps people?
- 19:44 – Is foreign aid an issue that should matter to us?
RIGHT-CLICK TO DOWNLOAD (22:50)
This interview is part of a series on election topics which are important for Catholics in the lead-up to the 2016 Australian Federal Election.
To find out more about issues which Catholics should consider in the Australian Election, please read the “A Voice for the Voiceless” election statement by the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference.
Caritas is the Catholic Church’s agency for foreign assistance. To find out more about Caritas Australia or to donate, visit the Caritas Australia website.