Owen Vyner explores the signs and prayers of the unique and haunting Good Friday service, including the Liturgy of the Word and the Adoration of the Cross.Download this episode (right click and save)
In this podcast:
- 0:22: Why do we use the words “Passion” and “Good” when describing this Friday?
- 3:41: No sacraments on Good Friday except Reconciliation and the Anointing of the Sick.
- 4:23: Time: Service at 3 pm.
- 5:15: Is the 3 pm service a Mass?
- 6:38: The Entrance: Silence.
- 6:46: Symbolism of the red vestments.
- 7:34: Prostration.
- 9:02: Adoration of the Cross.
- 11:42: Procession in Adoration of the Cross: The importance of our bodies and the meaning of procession.
- 17:27: Options for the prayer at the beginning of the Good Friday service.
- 18:39: Liturgy of the Word.
- 18:48: First Reading: Isaiah’s Suffering Servant.
- 19:22: Second Reading: Christ as the High Priest in the Letter to the Hebrews. What is the High Priest?
- 19:58: What was the Holy of Holies?
- 20:47: Narrative of the Lord’s Passion from the Gospel of St John.
- 21:22: The 10 General Intercessions for the whole world.
- 22:30: The Adoration of the Cross: The Reproaches and the Trisagion.
- 23:43: Dismissal: No blessing, but only a prayer to God.
- 24:08: Departing in silence.
The talk is the second part of a three-part series by Owen Vyner on the signs and prayers of the Easter Triduum.